This guide discusses common problems and how to resolve them.
logUserId to create personalized recommendations.
logUserId is also used as part of the key in the Delivery page database. If the
logUserId is not specified, Promoted does not know how to differentiate one user from another. If the
logUserId changes during paging, Promoted treats these as two completely different paged Requests.
To be safe, when logUserId is missing, Promoted defaults to falling back to client-specific retrieval ranking. If this is an issue, please chat with Promoted's team. Promoted can walk you through alternatives and the additional information that is needed.
logUserId is mostly an issue on web. Mobile apps usually initialize
logUserId very early on.
- Race condition in web app loading and
- Example: If the list of content is pre-loaded on the first HTTP request for the index.html and the logUserId is not initialized until after the html is executed on the browser-side.
- The code that creates the
logUserIdis blocked. E.g. if Segment is used to create a
logUserId, then privacy protectors that block Segment will cause
logUserIdto not be set.
- General coding bugs.
Promoted tracks the rate of missing
logUserIds. Promoted will report big changes to the "missing
logUserId rate" to you.
You might notice this internally if the items do not appear re-ranked. If
logUserId changes in between page calls, Promoted might duplicate content across pages.
- Set up logging in your code to catch when logUserIds are not specified.
- Audit the code flow from logUserId to Promoted SDK calls.
- If there are interesting dimensions that might impact the problem (e.g. device, browser, authenticated
userId), forward the values on Delivery calls and Impression records so Promoted can compare the missing
logUserIdrates along the dimensions.
- See if this is an issue on the first page that a user visits vs subsequent pages.
- Fix race conditions and bugs in
- Sync with the Promoted team to learn about alternatives.
Updated 28 days ago